WORLD OF SOUL MOTORCYCLE COMMUNITY

a progressive motorcycle enthusiast organization

Harley-Davidson of Greensboro Gives Ride for CHANGE-Ride of HOPE(tm) the Boot!

After several weeks of what we thought were constructive talks, we were advised by Marketing and Promotions Director Amy E Jacobson that Ride for CHANGE Ride for HOPE(tm) was not welcomed at Harley-Davidson of Greensboro on Saturday, November 5th as a staging location for the North Carolina Ride for CHANGE Ride for HOPE(tm) benefiting Ride for CHANGE-Ride for HOPE Foundation's efforts to provide scholarships, increase enrollment and expand the spring bus tour of historically black colleges and universities. It was the first time a Harley dealership asked for $200.00 to stage a ride from their location.  Our calls have gone unanswered every since we received the notice via email.

What to do?

Why is it when we organize to support initiatives that benefit the black community we are ostracized by commercial interest?  Dr. King's said that wherever black dollars are spent there should be community reinvestment.  It was through this argument and widespread protest that resulted in boycotts of national chain stores and opportunities you enjoy today were made available. 

Upon Dr. King's death this work did not cease.  The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 was passed as a result of national pressure to address the deteriorating conditions of American cities—particularly lower-income and minority neighborhoods.  Community activists, such as Gale Cincotta of National People's Action in Chicago, had led the national fight to pass, and later to enforce the Act.

Don't get me wrong.  I am not throwing up the race card.  This is a respect issue.

There seems to be unfair and unequal treatment of the minority consumer as it relates to bringing forth initiatives important to them.  After all, Ride for CHANGE-Ride for HOPE(tm) seeks not only to raise awareness of educational deficiencies within the minority segment but provide some programmatic solutions by creating access to opportunity through expanding the HBCU Tour of historically black colleges and universities and funding scholarships.

It would seem to me, under the circumstances that Harley-Davidson of Greensboro would embrace our project seeing that North Carolina has more HBCU's than and other state in the union.

We know the root cause of forced stagnation and hope that we can overcome those obstacles and achieve mutual interest.  We all have a dream.  We just ask that our dreams and ambitions not be denied.

In the past few months, we have raised awareness on the fact that in some areas graduation rates are in the 30%-40% range among black males.  Image where we will be as a nation if these numbers persist.  This is not a black or white issue but an American issue which we can all become engaged to help reverse the trend.  To help facilitate the project's movement, Ride for CHANGE-Ride for HOPE has sought to build broad-based coalitions of supporters in local communities consisting of all types of motorcycle organizations working together to achieve a community goal.  This includes motorcycle clubs, associations, independent riders as well as commercial interest such as dealership.  We have always been welcomed at various Harley-Davidson dealerships.

I am reminded of a situation with a dealership in suburban Chicago, Oak Lawn Harley-Davidson.  The reputation of the dealership was horrific as it relates to its treatment of black consumers.  I spoke with the owners about this matter.  They were not happy about being approached but listened.  We were welcomed to set up a booth for our fundraising efforts, raising monies for Dr. King memorial in Washington, DC. At the end of the day I was surprised to hear their response to my suggestion that they display the promotional banner in their showroom. Fundraising at Oak Lawn Harley Davidson

With communication, we were able to work through the appearance of racism at the dealership.  Little did anyone know that the owner of the dealership, Neal Holbert was a big supporter of HBCU's as I watched him hand Tom Joyner a check in the amount of $10,000 at 5:30 in the morning.  He later donated a leather jacket for our first Ride for CHANGE-Ride for HOPE in Chicago that I later gave to Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, Sr. during a presentation preceding the event.

We have since 2009 supported the PUSH Excel HBCU Tour and now seek to expand our interest interest in providing opportunities for our youth by means of not only the tour but also scholarships.

To keep this movement moving has been an interesting battle that requires your continued support.

We need all hands on deck!...to bring about any real CHANGE and HOPE in OUR COMMUNITIES and if that means reaching out to folks that have resisted us we must do it as we are all affected in the end.  Somethings must come about by demand.  Not asking for your support...telling them you must provide support because it is the right thing to do. 

Ride for CHANGE-Ride for HOPE.

Contact Info:

Amy Jacobson

Harley-Davidson of Greensboro

(336) 273-1101

ajacobson@hdofgreensboro.com

Harley-Davidson of Greensboro...POLITICS determine WHO gets WHAT, WHEN, WHERE and WHY!  Read about it here...

Views: 1636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All I can say is"Welcome to the South my Brother!"
Say it ain't so...in 2011?
A lot of wisdom there.  Keep it on a professional level.  As they used to say when we were kids, "don't stoop to their level".  Continue on with the goals set, but if I were in NC, they'd be the last HD dealer I would visit.  Thanks, Jazz.

"One monkey don't stop the show"! You go after their competitors. Hopefully your not putting all your eggs in Harley's basket.

I can't believe HD of Greensboro wold do this, I've shopped there before....Will think twice about going there again!
So where will the staging be held at, if not at Greensboro HD?  As mentioned before, why put all the effort in Harley Davidson?  Let's look at Victory, Honda, Suzuki, etc...

Kickstands up from Sonic Drive-In Restaurant, 4500 High Point Road, Greensboro location at 1:00PM.

More information can be found here http://www.worldofsoulmc.com/events/ride-for-change-ride-for-hopem-...

I have heard nothing but racist things about Harley dealerships not only here in Atlanta but dealerships in South Carolina and in Texas. I say that its funny that they want your money but wont give back to the community. You want see me give my money to Harley period !!!!
thats what I'm saying F them Hardly Drivables.

Brother you are 110% correct.. thanks for getting me focused.... I'm probably one of the few people out here who's been on the road longer.. i  also have had most brands of bikes and i do love HD"S..  in my personnel life i will not do business where i'm not wanted... I do business with 3 HD dealerships .. I do not have any problems with service or advice because i demand and know what i want.. if i don't get it i go to higher up in the company.. I fought direct with the factory on problem i had... I was on line everyday sending emails to everybody in the company.. they took care of me.. i didn't think i should have had to go through it that but i did... so i say again don't do business where they don't want you.. For those who hate Harley Davidsons.. remember this is not about a brand..ride what you want to.. who cares..

The Internet is a powerful tool...use it..

The most racists are @ HD and there ain't nothing wrong with Honda as a brand compared to other similar brands. On the other hand it was HD not just the ppl who rode them that didn't want us on them. They only changed their mind cause they figured how much money they would miss they still don't respect us thats why I'm never gonna attempt to affiliate with them.
New Living Translation (©2007)
If any household or town refuses to welcome you or listen to your message, shake its dust from your feet as you leave...
Matthew 10:14

with that being said... where's the next Dealership...
Remember we can always BOYCOTT this dealership... hit her in the pocket.. Don't do business where you're not welcome!!

RSS

Advocating access to opportunity for the riding community while promoting movement that supports the humanities.

Sponsors & Partners

WORLD OF SOUL MOTORCYCLE COMMUNITY IS FUNDED IN PART BY RIDE FOR CHANGE RIDE FOR HOPE FOUNDATION AND THE GENEROSITY OF ITS ADVOCATE MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS.

Members

Badge

Loading…

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by WebAdmin aka Superbrother.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service